I wanted to study JPMorgan’s Quorum Blockchain and going to install Cakeshop, their development environment, under Ubuntu 16.04.2 and Tomcat8 web server.
There were some bumps that were unavoidable but the developer was very helpful in debugging and help me setup the server. Shout out to fixanoid
- Install Ubuntu 16.04.2
- Update to latest updates
- Install Java 8 (Open JDK)
- Install Tomcat8
- Follow the installation instruction here… BUT don’t start the server yet.
- Instead of setenv.sh, edit Tomcat8 startup script under /etc/init.d/ folder.
- Under catalina_sh() function, go to TOMCAT_SH= line
- Before that, add this command…. JAVA_OPTS=”$JAVA_OPTS -Dspring.profiles.active=local -Deth.config.dir=[Your/folder/path/accessible/to/tomcat8/user]”
- Start the server /etc/init.d/tomcat start, then stop it /etc/init.d/tomcat8 stop
- The server will not yet run peroperly and error logs will populate catalina.out logs, but this will populate config files int the folder you passed in JAVA_OPTS (eth.config.dir=[Your/folder/path/accessible/to/tomcat8/user])
- No go to the folder, under the local folder, edit application.properties
- Locate geth.identity=
- Add any node name you want it to be
- Save the file, exit and start the server again
- This should start the server properly now. You check the catalina.out logs.
- You can access the site via http://IP_ADDRESS:8080/cakeshop/