Had a problem after an update that when I force a restart or a shutdown on my server, it hangs on the last part of the process.
To fix my problem, I had to edit the /etc/default/grub config file and added acpi=force apm=power_off to the config line, between the double quotation marks…
do a update-grub after saving then reboot one more time.. ( force sa restart when it hangs )
After the restart, try another reboot, it should work now without hanging.
Source of the fix is from Here
I wanted to setup my own Git repository locally and with an accompanying front end GUI. Before Gitorious, I installed Git from scratch and also installed Gitolite. That will be another post later on.
Initially I followed the script from http://blog.kyodium.net/2011/09/install-gitorious-on-ubuntu-1104.html but its based on Ubuntu 11.04, there are some missing packages that was not part of the installation script so I had to run the script manually and jump from one tutorial to the other, but the main flow I used is from that script. This is the documentation of the installation process.
Note: I added the PPA to Git’s updated source so I would be using their latest release not Ubuntu’s Git package. ( Google around for Git’s PPA repository, its easy enough 😉 )
Also I was not logged into root ( which I prefer, so I had to do a lot of sudo-ing =S )
Execute these line-by-line… please don’y copy everything then go pressing enter.
Update your Ubuntu server to latest patches and install the packages bellow.
sudo aptitude install build-essential zlib1g-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev postfix apg geoip-bin libgeoip1 sqlite3 libsqlite3-dev libgeoip-dev libpcre3 libpcre3-dev zlib1g zlib1g-dev libyaml-dev libmysqlclient-dev libonig-dev zip unzip memcached git-core git-svn git-doc git-cvs libreadline-dev openjdk-6-jdk sqlite3 libsqlite3-dev libmagick++3 libmagick++-dev libapache2-mod-xsendfile libxslt1-dev libreadline5 libxslt-dev libxml2-dev imagemagick apache2-dev activemq
Update Ruby Gems
Update: This will also work for 5.1 and 5.5.
Note, this is a WhiteBox setup so not all parts are officially supported by VMWare. Specs below…
- i7 2600K
- Gigabyte P67A-UD4 B3
- 8GB DDR3-1866hz 9-9-9
- 1TB Samsung F3 drives
- Intel Gigabit Network card
Now, the issue here is that after a clean install of VMWare Sphere 5, boot-up would take at least 5-9 min to complete from a clean power-on. Compared to an upgrade from VMWare Sphere 4.1U1 which will load all the necessary drivers right away after a restart/power-on. It seems like its not detecting the HDD at all at first glance but soon found its way. Further tests, experiments and research yielded that this is a side-effect on how VMWare handled their installation process in VMWare Sphere 5 compared to 4.1U1. In 4.1U1, it uses the MBR for the boot process by default, while in 5.0 it uses GPT. You can fixed this if you force the installer to use MBR during the installation phase.